Purworejo, Indonesia

For the first day of the ASEAN Exchange Visit on Coconut Value Chain, we traveled to Purworejo in Central Java, which was about 2 hours travel from Malioboro. Along the way, we passed by dry fields, evident of the ongoing drought currently experienced in this part of Indonesia.

On the way to the venue, I was chuckling like a kid when I saw a waiting shed in the shape of mangosteen (the bus is moving so I was not able to take a photo). Apparently, this place is known for its mangosteen and durian. Parang nasa Davao lang kami.

I love this fancy tea cup
Just like Pinoys, Indonesians also love snacking on rice cakes and local fruits. During my week-long stay in Jogja, I enjoyed various rice cakes. I tried to taste each one of them being he kakanin-lover that I am. My colleagues would even wait for me to eat try the food first and ask for my assessment before they try it themselves. Some of the rice cakes I tried usually have fillings like camote (sweet potato), banana, coconut, and sugar. Yes, what is carbs on carbs on carbs.


I liked the square one in this photo, while the popsicle looking one is very similar to our kalamay. We're having fun trying it because of its unusual shape but we were told later on that we we're removing the cover wrong. We're not supposed to peel off the cover (coconut leaves) but instead, push the little handle until the rice cake comes out on one end.


If you love chips, Indonesia got you covered. They can never seem to eat a single meal without kripik (chips) and or krupuk (crackers). It's like having a Chow King meal every time, but with more delicious crackers.



Visit to Koperasi Wanita Srikandi. I realized I took very few photos during this field visit. I was too laxed because the main organizer had their own production team and I was only there to support with social media matters. (Also possible copyright violation for using Zooey Dechanel's "Sugartown", which won over Maroon5's "Sugar" for this clip. 😅)


Kalesa in Indonesia. Spotted this horse-drawn carriage passing by while we were walking back to our bus after the visit to Koperasi Wanite Srikandi. Old school transportation is still alive in this part of Indonesia. They also have these in Malionoro, but I've always thought those were mainly for tourism purposes.

Popular Posts