Getting (Literally) Lost in Taiwan

I was hesitant to go to this trip because I was afraid it might coincide with an event at work. But Taiwan has been sidetracked several times already so I thought this must be the time to just go for it. And my hunch was right. There really was a work related activity overlapping with the trip, but then again, I need to play, too, to stay sane. And also because my friend convinced me so hard I gave in because I also thought our plan to go to Baguio never materialize, maybe if we level it up, it would be more fun.

It is summer in Taipei this time of the year but I wasn't expecting the heat that welcomed us. I thought we left Manila for a place with a cooler weather, but I was so wrong, and so unprepared for the heat! After the trip I was burned, but I still think I look good with a darker skin.


I was burned because we walked a lot and did a lot of touristy things outdoors. Taipei is a walkable city and the roads are bicycle and pedestrian friendly. All throughout the city, there are bicycles for rent. You can rent one using a card (probably Easycard, the one generally used for various modes of transportation in the city). My friend and I wanted to try going around the city in bikes, too, but we just chose to walk since we were dependent on google maps and its easier to figure out directions when you are walking.

Even while looking for a place to have lunch, it took us an hour of walking, because there were just too many photo breaks. πŸ˜…

Taipei likes its structures grand


The National Theater building in Taipei was our first stop after exiting the very complex Taipei Main Station. We've mistaken it for the Chiang Kai Shek Memorial Hall so we started taking photos. Then we realized we're wrong after I read the name of the building, right infront of us.


The National Concert Hall in Taipei is a twin building of the National Theater. Both grand structures stand opposite each other.


The Liberty Square main gate (paifang) is just as grand as the structures inside the complex. A glorified 'Welcome to Barangay' sign πŸ˜‚ in the words of jeje Irish and John.



While looking for a restaurant nearby, we finally, figured out where Chiang-Kai Shek Memorial Hall is. But we decided to go for lunch first and come back later to check out the building. But John was unstoppable from taking photos. Didn't know he was into photography now so he was taking a lot of photos.


Were really hungry, but my companion kept taking photos. Plus, I couldn't make out the directions to this place that serves delicious xia long bao a friend suggested. The map says it is quite near Chiang Kai Shek Memorial Hall, but the compound was huge. We walk to the nearest exit, and while figuring out where to turn to, we saw a 7-Eleven across the street. We went to look for a crossing, but I noticed that the place we're looking for is quite near. We walked towards the direction, and eventually came to a restaurant that's already full, and there are still people waiting outside to be seated. We're famished. Finally, giving up, we decided to walk back to the convenience store we just passed by. But did we go all the way here to eat a 7-Eleven food? No. So we walk a few steps, hoping there'd be another restaurant in the corner. And yes, there really is!

Standing infront of the restaurant, trying to see look for signs we could read on what the restaurant serves, local patrons waiting outside, then an auntie (also a customer) told us to come in and order dumplings, in Taiwanese and hand signs. Then someone from their group talked to us in English and told us to go inside. They even recommended food we should try, and called for a restaurant crew to assist us.


We were immediately seated, sharing a table with an elderly woman and a man. John and I were whispering because we could not read the Chinese menu. The man noticed we couldn't make out what's in the menu so he talked to us in English and suggested food we can order. Then the woman called for a waiter to ask for an English menu (because apparently, they have that). While deciding what to order, to our surprise, the man spoke to us in Filipino. "Taga-saan kayo?," he asked.  Apparently, they are Filipino-Chinese. We ended up ordering what they were having as I kept pointing at every food they were eating, "Parang masarap yun... at yun din."


The xiao long bao was good, as well as the tofu dish, which is crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.

After lunch, we went back to the Liberty Square, this time to check out Chiang Kai Shek Memorial Hall, a grand but minimalist structure housing a statue of Chiang Kai-shek, former President of the Republic of China.


"Ang grand ng structure sa labas, tapos ito lang nasa loob." "Na-underwhelm na ba?" Actually, I appreciate the minimalism. We even managed to witness the changing of guards ceremony.







It would've been nice to walk around Liberty Square because the place was like a sanctuary in the midst of tall buildings but it was high noon when we got there and it was just scorching.


From here, we went back to Main Station to get our stuff, and headed to our hostel. Later that night, we went to Shilin Market for dinner.

Next day, we took a bus to Yehliu Geopark. The bus ride itself was like a tour since there was an automated voice announcing the stops and the landmarks along the way.

Might I say, exploring Yehliu Geopark is just like going to Ilocos. It was very, very, very hot. I did not want to go in and told John I was just going to wait for him outside, where I can stay in the shade, but he wouldn't take it.


Everyone was queuing to have their photo taken at the famous rock formations of "the queen" and "the princess".



I guess we stayed too long in this place we both got skin burned after this. During this trip, John took over the navigator task because his phone works better. I was just following him around. We went back to Taipei, and got off somewhere near Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall. I must've lost 80% of water in Yehliu, but our day was not over. We were yet to go to Elephant Mountain for the sunset.







This part of Taipei also offers a good view of Taipei101. We kept walking until we arrived at the Taipei 101 building.


I wanted to go straight to the Elephat Mountain, afraid that we'd miss the sunset, but my friend wanted to go in. I even told him, once we go in to the air conditioned building. it will probably be hard for us to go out again in the humid afternoon. We went inside and while I was trying the food at the stalls, we realized we haven't had lunch yet, so we looked for the food court to have our super late lunch.

Then we continued our journey to see the sunset from a hill. We kept walking until we reached the jump off. We thought it was already too late for us, that the sun has already set once we climbed the hill up. But no, we still had to wait an hour or so, for the sun to set, and then we had to wait until the darkness blanketed the entire city and lights began to twinkle one by one from the buildings. John was getting enough shots for a time lapse so we had to stay for several hours in there.



I was already tired from all the walking, but still, we went to Ximending shopping district which, fortunately, is just few blocks away from the hostel.



Before going to bed, John and I agreed that we'd go out early the next to avoid the scorching heat of the sun and so we'll have more time to explore. We did leave the hotel earlier than the day before, but at the main station, we boarded the wrong train, and rather, spent six hours on a railtrip from Taipei to Hualien, and then back to Jiufen. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚


Minutes before ya girl realizes they boarded the wrong train and were in for a six-hour detour. πŸ˜‚ #SelfieSelfieNaliligawNaPala #ligawin🀣



And what's more, I had a massive acid reflux on our way back so I had to just stay at Shifen station while John went to see the waterfalls.

But before giving in, I did try to look for a drugstore among the stores in Shifen, but there was none, so I walked back to the station, bought some friend sweet potato along way, the thinking that the pain will go away once I eat something, but it did not. This is all I was able to document while on my way looking for medicine.



I was in so much pain I fell asleep on the bench opposite this shop.


I bought this at Hualien train stop because it was going to be another 5-6 hours in the rails, and when the acid reflux worsened, this is all I could blame because I couldn't explain why suddenly I was having an acid attack when I had breakfast and did not even feel hungry even after lunch. On well, charged to experience. Make sure to board the right train.


However, our funny luck did not end there. From Shifen, we were to go to Jiufen. But time and again, we boarded took the wrong bus. πŸ˜‚ However, my friend won't give up. He was also annoyed with the in-explainable thing that's happening to us but he was determined to follow our itinerary. As for me, I just wanted to go back to the hotel because even after I took meds, the pain still won't go away. 

When John realized we took the bus going back to Taipei, instead of the bus bound for Jiufen, we got off at the next stop and waited for another bus going the opposite direction. Due to our persistence, we did make it to Jiufen, but by that time, most shops were already closed.


We bought deep fried fish for quick dinner and ate while walking back to the bus stop. Once in Taipei, we were trying to figure out the way back to the hostel but John saw a building that piqued his interest so he went to take a photos and then on the opposite side, I marveled at this night market and when I saw a line at the store right at the entrance, I went in to see what's in there. I quickly went back and told John that we were in Raohe Night Market and told him about this stall that's drawing a crowd. Good thing he easily gets me so he said if the locals are lining up for it, then we should try it. It was the popular pork pepper bun.


We weren't really hungry and we barely ate half of each, but I am not for food waste, so I brought our half eaten buns back to our hotel. Once we were in there, I decided to have some tea at the restaurant for my chest problems, although by that time I was feeling slightly okay already. John told me to bring the buns. They were still hot, and even tasted better that time. πŸ˜‚


Food trip buddies

Probably the best part of this trip is the fact that I am with a certified foodie. John was really out there trying anything that piqued his interest. Meanwhile, I was just there trying anything where there is a crowd. What is even better? Between the two of us, I was the one in charge of finishing the food. 😁(Aside from the default reason that I am matakaw, ever since I worked for AFA, it bothers me now to leave leftovers. I got it from senior colleagues.)

Below are some of the food we tried, mostly in night markets, because that's what we go there for, to eat.




Taiwanese food in general is not remarkable (my point of comparison being Vietnamese and Thai). But I still prefer their food compared to other Asian places I've been to.

Popular Posts