Irish x 2018

Looking at my 2018 photos, I realized this year has been a good one, despite some setbacks, like, not doing anything on my thesis. I did a good deal of travelling for work. Went to new places, meet people, ate food I haven't tried before. In this entry, I'll share some of my (mis)adventures this year. In other words, I just want to tell untold stories photos and re-tell stories that will never grow old for me. So yeah, here's my new year essay entry. Enjoy this long-ass read y'all. 😂
___


January. Bukidnon, Philippines. Playing with colleagues during our teambuilding at Dahilayan Forest Park in Bukidnon. I did not think we'd be able to do these kind of stuff because most of my colleagues are older, but it turned out, they were even more game than I was. 😅

Manila, January 2018
This was me at the beginning of the year. After coming from the airport to pick up a foreigner participating in a forum co-organized by the organization I am working for, a task I accepted not without resistance because why tf are you sending me to pick up people it's not even in my tor! I arrived at the airport just in time for the scheduled arrival of the person I am picking up. I waited and waited... and after an hour or so, I learned that the flight was not delayed therefore it arrived earlier than the adjusted schedule I was given (there was an earlier advisory that the flight was delayed). I was on the move to go to the hotel where we'll be staying for the duration of the forum, but I was asked to go to another terminal and pick up another person. The vehicle we're supposed to ride on already left because the driver said he's picking up another person in another terminal. He was the one who picked up the person I was supposed to pick up. We only learned that we're waiting for no one when I mentioned the name and he recognized it and said he was contacted by that person when his flight arrived earlier than the schedule and is now at the hotel. From terminal 2, I took an expensive cab to terminal 1. And waited for the person. I was sent here this time because they can't contact the person and he already knows me so he'll recognize me once he sees me at the airport. This idea did work and he was able to spot me once in just a few minutes of me walking from each letter zone because I don't know where he'll be. I snapped this photo once I was finally checked in after making sure my original sundo was already checked in.

Daraitan, Rizal, February 2018
"Pa-picture ako dito, jump shot!"
"You have an insurance, huh."
"Matter of fact, I don't." 😂

That explains this bungisngis shot.

Last February, I went on a dayhike to Daraitan with colleagues because our foreign guest wanted to go hiking. I had the choice to not go, but somehow I felt obligated to accompany them because 1) they are all older, 2) with the exception of our guest, none of them ever went hiking before, and 3) I've already been to Daraitan so I can at least assist~ the group who had no idea what they're up to. To put it simply, nakonsensya si unnie.

We're not even halfway to the top when some of my colleagues were already dead tired and started to regret what they got themselves into. Even our guest did not expect the whole thing. Nearing the summit, he noticed how unaffected I seemed. Di talaga ako napagod dahil ang bagal namin maglakad. I've been to more difficult trails, I said. He told me to wait til I reach 40 or 50 so I can fully understand how my colleagues feel. 😂

It took us much longer time but we did make it to the top. Only to be wasting more than 2 hours just so we can take a group photo at the summit because Daraitan was filled with kids taking tons of photos for the gram.

RDA Bogura, Bangladesh, May 2018
In langka land. On our second day in Bogura, Bangladesh, while on our way to the forum venue, my ahjumma colleagues just had to stop to take a photo with this jackfruit tree teeming with fruits. This is just one of the hundreds of jackfruit trees (and other trees and plants) in the entire academy compound. You know when parents make their kids pose at random places so they can take a photo souvenir, that's how I feel whenever my colleagues volunteer~ to take my photo at random places even if I do not ask them to. Sige latta kadin, just smile smile lattan. 😆

Ambassador Hotel Bangkok, Thailand, May 2018 
 Still couldn't work a selfie stick. I was in Bangkok for over two weeks for work. For days on end, I had to listen to discussions and presentations. But one good thing about my work is it affords me to take unofficial quick breaks such as this when listening to presentations becomes taxing.
.
Most of my days revolved in the hotel, which is located right smack in the business district of Bangkok. That's just how it works. When the day's over, I'd be too tired to even think of going somewhere else.
.
Somehow, this small sanctuary, where the hotel keeps several species of birds and where other birds go to eat in the morning, has become my favorite spot in what was my home for 10 days.

Kanchanaburi, Thailand, May 2018
May comment ako sa shot na ito but still kob khun ka, Bangskie for making this look like I wasn't in a cemetery at all. 😂

Last May, Bangs and I went adventuring in Thailand and boy did we have loads of adventure. We almost collapsed due to the extreme heat in Kanchanaburi because our lazy asses decided to go exploring around at high noon. We were dropped off at a random highway at night on our way to Ayutthaya. We were not able to finish our temple tour in Ayutthaya because it was too hot (we make the same mistakes again and again just to be sure). Ditched Bangkok so we can afford to drink beer shortly after lunch. Drank and socialized (a major feat for myself). Ate a lot of pad thai and drank a lot of milk tea and cultured milk. (Barely) slept at the airport. Went home with smiles on our faces and memories of gold.

Da Nang, Vietnam, July 2018
A rare~ photo of myself doing the part of my job that I dread--speaking infront of people. I work behind the camera mainly.

I had to woman up and take the lead in preparing for our organization's participation in an event in Da Nang, Vietnam because my senior colleagues were all busy with other activities. I had to present a case study from Thailand because they were not able to send a representative. Had the other coordinators from the other 4 countries failed to attend, I wouldn't be left with a choice but to present all the cases entered by our program. Even though I was stressed out big time because the other coordinators only confirmed participation the day before our flight, I was still thankful they were there to present their cases themselves. I've never felt so much support in my current job (even though it was just accidental on their part). 😂


I fell in love with Da Nang as soon as I had my first meal at a street noodle shop. "Iwan niyo na ako dito," I told my colleagues as we were having bun mam.

It was my first time in Vietnam and wasn't all excited because I was there for work. I wouldn't be able to enjoy the beach anyway, I said to myself. But as it turned out, I had the best time in the beach there in a long time.

Da Nang is simply wonderful. The people are super nice, food is superb, beautiful beach, very walkable and there is no traffic jam in the streets, grabcars readily available any time of the day. The weather is just hot and humid but I think I can manage that. If I can afford to relocate, it will definitely be there.

Taipei, Taiwan, July 2018

John: You look very touristy.
I: It's because I'm a tourist, duh.

In March 2017, I renewed my passport because my friends and I planned to go to Taiwan, the travel date coinciding with my birthday. But as we all know, DFA sucks. I wasn't able to get an earlier schedule because their website wasn't working properly for weeks. So schedule for the passport pick became too close to the travel date. I had to cancel the Taiwan plan, but still renewed my passport. Few months later, I got a consultancy job and on the day I was hired, I was told that I'd be part of the team that'll be going to Yogyakarta, Indonesia in 3 weeks. My efforts to get a new passport will not be in vain, I thought. My passport got stamped some more in places I've only dreamed of seeing. And after a year, and because of John's persistence, that new~ passport had finally been used for its original purpose.

My Taiwan adventure is memorable for several reasons: finally went on a trip with my favorite bitch who's a great company because we both love to eat; John was doing all the research on where to go and what to do and he was quite good with directions, yet he managed to get us lost by boarding the wrong train, sending us hundreds of kilometers away from our destination; that same day, I was having an intense acid reflux and could barely walk but we still managed to get lost several times more. Yep, I'd still travel with him even though we're probably the unluckiest traveling pair there is. 😂

Sicogon Island, Iloilo, Philippines August 2018
Kathmandu, Nepal, August 2018


 How often can I say that I adventured with colleagues and other people I just met while at work.

My work trip to Kathmandu this year is way memorable than the first one. We went to another district outside Kathmandu for a field visit, and due to an unfriendly weather slowing ua down, we ended up bonding during the long, arduous ride.

This photo was taken at the restaurant where we had lunch, shortly before a landslide happened just 20 meters from here, leaving us stranded for several hours, and giving us even more time to bond in between working. When we got back to the hotel and the other group were asking how are we, they were quite surprised to see how happy we are even though we're tired.

The day after this, we were invited by a Nepali colleague to dine at his house, and were warmly hosted by his wonderful and beautiful family. The couple we later realized are high profile. They generously opened their house for us if ever we foubd ourselves again in Kathmandu. A house which is really designed to host visitors basing on its several unoccupied rooms. The children, being spawns of two scholars, grew up and are studying abroad and are achievers on their own. Their home, located in the city, has a mini garden at the roofdeck, where you can also get a view of the city.

I also met, drank, cooked, and ate with a Pakistani colleague and her Nepali friend at her house. I was left alone at the hotel so this colleague took pity on me and brought me along for her meet up with her friend. That night as we were making our way to the airport, we had a little adventure because of the terrible traffic condition that time. I was shit scared because I don't understand a single word the cab driver was saying when he and my colleague were 'fighting'. We did make it to the airport on time.

Popular Posts