Comics and Old Philippines



One time, I was out drinking with a friend when we floated this idea of creating a comic book of our own, its plot revolving around the pre-Hispanic Philippines. We were throwing a lot of ideas we thought were really good (you know how the brain seems to sharpen with alcohol intake). I was gonna do the writing, he was gonna do the graphics. Few days later, I went to a bookstore and lo and behold, I saw this comic book that looks just like what we conceptualized. 😂 Okay, there goes our comic book, I said. I had probably already seen this book before but thought it was a manga so I never picked it up, but this time, for some reason I noticed the striking stare of the character in the cover which made me read the title: Maktan 1521. I didn't even need to read it to know what it was about. I finally read the book a few days ago. And... it wasn't exactly what I expected. We had grander ideas for our comic book. 😂 So that dream sails on, again. 😂😂😂

Popular Posts