Balderon


We were hanging out beside this mahogany plantation located beside my aunts/uncles and grandmother's houses. Then my mother and aunts started recalling stories of Balderon, an unseen creature that lurks around the area.
.
I've heard a great deal about this creature when I was growing up. He was described to be this tall and foul-smelling creature that usually visit my grandparents' house. My grandfather would know he's around because of his foul-smell (they'd say it's his armpits). And whenever he comes, my grandfather would get his bolo and chase away this unseen creature so as not to scare his children. He'd go away eventually, they said, believing that he's afraid of the bolo. My grandfather passed on years ago but my aunts said Balderon would still come around and when they make him go away, they believed he'd go to this mini forest which he probably made his home.
That time they were retelling their stories of Balderon for us, the younger ones, out of the blue a branch of a mahogany tree snapped. It wasn't a withered one, there was no strong wind or anything that could've make it break. It was as if something climbed or stepped onto it and it broke. Seeing it happe right before our eyes, the older ones instantly claimed it was Balderon and that he probably heard us talking about him.

I couldn't really say I completely believed their stories until that incident.

PS One time my mother was reading my 101 Kagila-Gilalas na Nilalang book (Edgar Samar), and after coming home from work, she was beaming with smile as she was saying that the description of kape in the book totalky fits grandfather's description of Balderon.

Popular Posts