A Day in Koh Si Chang


As pretty much every blog post I read suggests, when in Sri Racha, one might as well go to the nearby island of Si Chang. According to my magazine guide, this small island is the quickest getaway for weary Bangkokians. (I just learned from that magazine that that's what Bangkok people are called). And Sri Racha is the gateway to Koh Si Chang. The island can be reached via ferry in 40 minutes. I was set to go to the island on my second day in town. Despite not knowing the boat trip schedule and whether I’d actually find the port, I planned to wake up early, mainly to avoid the scorching sun. I did wake up early, even without the aid of alarm clock, but I took my time. Spent several minutes in the balcony of the apartment just watching the sea as the sun slowly creeps out. I also chose to walk from the apartment to the port, with the help of google. It appeared near on google map, but it took me probably 15 or 20 minutes. But I didn't mind. Walking is a good way to get acquainted with a place. I passed by a park where a lot of locals were exercising and some seated on benches facing the sea. More importantly, I passed by convenience stores and restaurants where I could buy food later on. 😁

Before reaching the port, I spent some time watching and taking photos of the people in the dried up seabed digging for clams.


As I was figuring out where the ferry bound for Si Chang is, looking for people to ask directions, someone yelled out, "Si Chang!" along with other Thai words. He was boarded a ferry that is already filled with passengers. The ferry was juts about to leave but there is still probably room for passengers as the ferry was telling the approaching passengers to hurry up. I walked faster, but did not run, despite the risk of being left behind. The ferry was facing my direction so everyone was probably looking at me. I wanted to give the passengers a scene of me in a long blue skirt gracefully walking, hair being tossed by the wind. 😁 Pabebe! I ran the remaining few meters to the ticket booth, paid for my fare and quickly searched for a seat. I made it to the 9am trip.

The ferry ride was smooth. I did not even remember that earlier this year, I thought I was going to drown in the waters of Batanes because the sea was very rough on our boat. After getting off, I approached locals offering rides. They did not speak English, but they understood that I wanted to rent a vehicle that will take me around the island. What else would an obvious tourist going to do in the island anyway. I paid 200 baht.

First stop was a temple overlooking the town of Si Chang.


This is the scenery that made me decide to go to Sri Racha, except the photo in the magazine was taken during sundown, with this seaside village bathed in the many colours of sunset.

Popular Posts