Quick Review of Hyun Bin's Dramas

Obviously, nagjoin ako sa bandwagon. Since late last year, my friends have been telling me to watch this. But I've long turned my back on binge-watching Korean dramas. However, early this year, I kept seeing posts about Crash Landing On You on Facebook, even friends who I never thought were into K-dramas have been raving about it. Of course, it didn't stop there. I had to see Hyun Bin's old drama as well.

Crash Landing On You (2019-2020)
Stars: Hyun Bin, Son Ye Jin


The plot, basically: Yoon Se-Ri (Son Ye Jin) is the CEO of her own company and is set to inherit the management of his father's company in South Korea. She had an accident while paragliding and landed in the North Korean border, where Captain Ri (Hyun Bin) and his men were posted. Se Ri tried to escape, however, she entered the wrong side of the border and found herself in a North Korean village. Captain Ri takes her in while finding ways to send her back to South Korea.

Your unnie reacts: Indeed it's a good drama. A compelling story and a great set of characters. A good mix of romance and comedy. It is fiction, but it's nice to know that the production employed a defector from North Korea to help provide details for the storytelling. Somehow, it gave the world a peek to the lives of North Koreans.

This is a poem my friend shared, which she wrote even before seeing this drama:

Crashlanding 
I was flying high up in the sky
On my way to a land I dreamed of
I was gonna g straight 'til I look down
And saw you there in an unassuming town


And crashlanded into your arms...


Memories of the Alhambra (2018)
Stars: Hyun Bin, Park Shin Hye


The plot, basically: Yoo Jin Woo (Hyun Bin), a CEO of a tech company, travels to Granada, Spain after receiving a call from Jung Se Joo (Park Chan Yeol), a game developer hoping to sell him an augmented reality game he created. While in Granada, he stays in an inn managed by Jung Hee Joo, Se Joo's sister, hoping to meet the game developer to seal the deal. The death of his rival while playing the game together and the mysterious disappearance of Se Joo prompted Jin Woo to explore the game deeper.

Your unnie reacts: I knew I had to watch this just a few seconds into the trailer. Very promising plot. Indeed it started with a high note. However, somewhere in the middle, it became dragging. I just had to finish it to see how it ends.


Secret Garden (2010-2011)
Stars: Hyun Bin, Ha Ji Won


The plot, basically: Gil Ra Im (Ha Ji Won) is a stuntwoman/stunt double who was mistaken by Kim Joo Won (Hyun Bin) as the actress his cousin Oska, who is a famous singer, is involved with. From their first meeting, Joo Won was mesmerized by Ra Im's coolness and couldn't get her out of his mind. Due to their social class differences, he faced a lot of challenges while trying to pursue her. While exploring the woods, the two found themselves in a mysterious restaurant and were given a beverage by the owner. After drinking the beverage, the two switched bodies. 

Your unnie reacts: This is the funniest among this bunch. I don't know what took me so long to see it. A friend has been recommending this for so long. I was literally laughing out loud all throughout the drama. There are a lot of funny scenes, witty quips, and kilig moments. Hands down, this scene is one the best/most nakakakilig scenes in all of K-drama world:



My Name is Kim Sam Soon (2004)
Stars: Hyun Bin, Kim Sun A


The plot, basically: Kim Sam Soon (Kim Sun A) was dumped by her boyfriend on Christmas eve. She was found by Hyun Jin Hyun (Hyun Bin) crying in the men's washroom. Their fate intertwined again when Sam Soon was hired by Jin Hyun as a baker for his restaurant. 

Your unnie reacts: Plot-wise, for me this is the best Hyun Bin drama in this bunch. It's not too drastic, not too far-fetched from scenes that happens in real life. It has well thought off characters, with a strong female lead that even displays characteristics of being a feminist. It's also fun to watch.

Popular Posts